Access to Justice as a right has now been enshrined in the Constitution under Article 48. Chapter Ten of the Constitution envisions the establishment of a responsive Judiciary that enables all to Access Justice. The Amkeni Wakenya’s Access to Justice Project seeks to promote access to justice for all, especially the poor and marginalised in Kenya.
1. Activities that contribute to the following will be given priority:
2. Enhance citizens’ awareness on the Administration of Justice;
3. Promote alternative forms of dispute resolution including reconciliation, mediation, arbitration and traditional dispute resolution mechanisms;
4. Facilitate citizen engagement in the enactment of legislative and policy frameworks that guarantee the speedy dispensation justice such as Small Claims Courts, Legal Aid Schemes, among others;
5. Facilitate linkages of citizens in need of justice particularly the poor and marginalised to the relevant organs through referral systems;
6. Promote accountability mechanisms to safeguard access to justice etc.
Amkeni Wakenya’s programme development and implementation of activities is informed and overseen by a dynamic and inclusive governance structure._