Amkeni Wakenya is a Facility set up to promote democratic governance in Kenya. The name Amkeni Wakenya is inspired by the second stanza of the National Anthem that calls upon all Kenyans to actively participate in nation building.
Amkeni Wakenya primarily works through Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) in recognition of the significant role that they play in ensuring that the aspirations of Kenyans are taken into consideration in the democratization process. Amkeni Wakenya supports and strengthens the role of citizens in the deepening of democracy, human rights, access to justice and governance reforms in Kenya.
Launched in July 2008 as the Civil Society Democratic Facility, Amkeni Wakenya is managed by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), through a dedicated Programme Management Unit (PMU). The first phase of the Programme is expected to run until mid-2011.
Overall Objectives of Amkeni Wakenya
1. To enable citizens to benefit politically, socially and economically from a more accountable, just, transparent and democratic society that upholds respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms.
2. To support civic engagement which empowers all people to influence public policies through CSOs, voluntary associations, trade unions, political parties, private sector organizations and citizens’ audits.
1. Strengthen participatory democracy, social justice, the rule of law and protection of human rights
2. Increase the internal good governance practices of organizations (against established benchmarks and as part of capacity strengthening)
3. Promote and facilitate the active engagement of citizens in development processes ,and enhance their capacity to take action
4. Transmit the concerns and ideas of citizens to local governance institutions and elected parliamentarians, appropriate parliamentary committees, committee staff and reform institutions and,
5. Enhance two-way communication flows between rural and remote areas/actors and national development processes.
Amkeni Wakenya’s programme development and implementation of activities is informed and overseen by a dynamic and inclusive governance structure._